Friday, April 15, 2011

St. Marks, FL

Normally, a peaceful kind of place . . .
(Click any image to enlarge)


A local fisherman and his fishfinder.

Located on the Gulf of Mexico at the junction of the St. Marks and Wakulla rivers, St. Marks, Florida is a small quiet town approximately 16 miles south of Tallahassee.  I have been there on other occasions sometimes on my bicycle.  There is a rail-trail called the Tallahassee - St. Marks State Trail that allows you to make a leisurely 32 mile round trip by bicycle from Florida's state capital to St. Marks.  It's flat, paved and well maintained.

Back in March I decided to drive down to this sleepy little town and scout the area to see what was available for kayaking and maybe throw an artie or two while I was there.

Sleepy little town? Boy!  Was I surprised!!  (note to self:  do not come here during Spring Break!)

On past visits the parking lot next to the boat ramps had only a handful of cars.  On this visit?


Packed!


And then the boats.


There were so many people launching they were putting in then parking as much as a quarter mile away and walking back. There were trucks and trailers parked all up and down the road.








Naturally, the waterway was almost as crowded.  You'll need to click on these next two pictures to better appreciate what I mean.





I've never seen St. Marks this busy.  Not that I'm there a lot, but based on previous visits it's always been quiet and laid back.


I drove around a bit to find a quieter place to launch and came across a little park northwest of the boat ramps called Wakulla River Park.  The parking lot was close to the water.  What seemed like a great launch site appeared as a grassy lawn gently sloping down to the water.



Looks really nice, huh?  Backed my truck up to the grass, unloaded my OK Big Game and slid it down to the water.  Off I went!


Heading south on the Wakulls I found a small creek off to my left that looked promising and headed up.  It was teeming with minnows.




I've never seen so many minnows.  There weren't millions, there must have been billions just filling up this creek.




No luck with DOA arties here so I continued south to the St. Marks River heading northeast past the boat ramps and up toward the marina.  Enjoy some of the scenery.








Since this was a trip to scout out a launch site and get the 'yak wet, I wasn't too disappointed that nothing with scales was aboard as I returned to my launch site at Wakulla River Park.


The tide being lower, I found that my nice grassy launch site was now about 20 feet away from the waters edge separated by thick, deep, black muck that I had floated over on a  higher tide when I left.  Getting out of the kayak I sunk about a foot deep in the stuff and slowly slogged my way to the grass dragging the kayak along.  I thought several times I would lose my shoes due to the suction as I would strain to lift a foot out of the muck.






In the above picture I had wiped a good bit off my legs but the muck extended half way up my calves.  My shoes still aren't the same.


Well, this launch site wouldn't do unless one left and returned on the high tide.


Near the boat ramp I noticed an area that will prove to be a better site.  This pavilion is to the left of the boat ramps near the bathrooms.




The grass slopes gently to the water making for an easy launch. And more importantly, as best I can tell, the bottom is not that black muck I encountered on the Wakulla River side.


I hope I can get back soon when Spring Break is not in full swing and get some fishing done.  When it's back to its sleepy quiet little self.








Here's a link to a bike trip I took on the Tallahassee - St. Marks State Trail - HERE


Google Map




* * * * * * * * * *
LINKS


Solunar Tables for your zip code: HERE
Rigging your kayak: Captain Dick
Interactive map by Angling Technologies: HERE
FORUMS
Georgia Kayak Fishing
Georgia River Fishing
Jax Kayak Fishing
Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing
 (you might need to be registered to view this one)

FLY FISHING RESOURCES
Saltwater Casting - 10 Steps to Distance and Power (DVD)

**********
If you are a resident of Georgia and like to fish from a kayak I recommend becoming a supporting member of the Georgia Kayak Fishing Association located at 
GeorgiaKayakFishing.com.
**********




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and welcome!